Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rehab




After several attempts earlier in the year to get my new Sailing Bits ride height and gearing adjuster working properly, I have now had yet another go. Well, OK , the first two attempts don't count as I hadn't really thought it through, but no sailing over weekend and time to kill allowed me to spend some time fiddling with the boat, current JP ride height adjusters and foil. First thing was stick the foil in and to measure everything so I could accurately recreate my favorite settings, both high and low modes. I then managed to get to the same place with the new RHA but it was jamming on the combing surround of the foil case. Out with the Dremel and ground it down till it all fitted and wand was friction free. Then tons of measurements and adjustments and finally got back to my start point. From there it was really a case of testing out the gearing adjuster. What was really a surprise for me was at max ride height on my old RHA, how little wand movement there really is.

The big test will be this weekend when I go sailing. I'll have the Go Pro and its time to test the new set up in some serious Long Beach chop. Forecast looks good.

Over and out from LB

4 comments:

  1. be very careful about when it is fully wound out (max high) it is easy to bend the bobbin sideways if you pull on it too hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, can you get me a pic of the gearing adjuster (from sideways?), I'd like to build something like it for a Prowler 4, that needs some study ;)

    Koos
    internationalmoth.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koos,

    let me know if you need any more photos. Sailing ones should be up early next week,

    Matt
    thanks for advice, already got it stuck in foil case and yes you cant sail a Moth with a jammed wan / flap.

    ReplyDelete