Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pump It

With quite a bit of debate in SA forums on how much vang to pull on, I thought I'd run an experiment. OK I was bored at work and went to gym! But after a nice warm thought I'd see how much weight I can pull with a 4 mm line. The protocol was sitting, not bracing feet, pull maximum weight.

The stats were:
Left hand 43Kgs
Right Hand 45.5Kgs

Now my vang is rigged at 24:1 and I have been pulling vang on till I cant pull anymore so thats erm.... 2 takeaway 5


Port Tack 1032 Kgs line load
Starboard Tack 1091 Kgs line load

F#ck that's a lot! Rig is a stiff CST355 and a Raptor. Thought I'd started to see overbend wrinkles so last sail eased the vang by about an inch or two from max and got much better speed. Pulling too hard.... you decide :)

Seahorse just came through the post. Cover shot, 6 photo spread of "that Nathan wipe out", 4 other shots of Moths and a quote from Lindsay Bergan. How cool is that? Cooler than a cool thing, and a huge boost for us, especially the 15 boat going to Hawaii for the newly minted Pac Rim Cup.

Bring it on!

3 comments:

  1. more friction in vang though so real load is prob lower i think

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGree, was just looking to get a number. Im sure its wrong but directionally correct.... ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. someday we'll all just sail wings with no vang load ;-)

    ReplyDelete