Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pump it


Been a few weeks since out in the boat, an insane work schedule accounting for most of it. After last sessions tales of broken vangs, I began to feel a bit sorry for Eric. Last time out he just got out to us and I broke the vang, this Saturday, he'd just arrived on the race course, and the very neat piece of splicing I'd done came apart and there I was with another broken vang. Sorry Mate, it isn't personal!

It was the ABYC 4th July regatta, low key affair and although It was supposed to be be me, Eric and Zack, only I was out for first race. So started with the cats, and whilst being canned up wind, I was all over the A cats and F18s down wind, eventually winning the first race on the water. Felt very pleased with boat setup and handling. Tactics and positioning still need some polishing before the Gorge, but happy where I am. Pretty weird conditions at Long Beach with a long South swell making its presence felt inside the breakwater, and the usual vicious wind chop coming the other way. Very interesting on port tack where you could choose to go bow down by a few degrees and make 15s with the swell, but poor angle, or point high and do 11s. Not sure I ever worked out best option.

One more weekend before we pack for the Gorge. Shipping is booked for the North Americans, and Zack is driving the boats up to the Gorge next week, role on summer!

1 comment:

  1. The kicker breaking seems to be the bane of a Moth sailor. I am just about to replace my main strop before the Nationals just to be on the safe side. It will be locked and stitched so fingers crossed it will stay together!

    ReplyDelete