Sunday, August 22, 2010

All in a Day


Yesterday was just epic. Long Beach at 18s, and I really enjoyed my sail. Boats was just back, so I really wanted to try out some new set ups. So first the rig:
  • Rigged the Raptor on my new CST 357c. Big difference with a stiffer mast, much easier to control the low leech tension and hence pointing. Also seems that the skin was much more stable, not having the creases you can see in this pic on the soft McC. I also found some nice new modes with the Raptor. Clearly wailing on the vang then down haul when over powered brought the sail back under control and allowed me to 2 block most of the way up wind. Found I could go up wind in high mode at 13s and low mode at 15s. All I need to do now is to hike harder to be able to carry it all!.
  • I had also put a new setting on the rudder foil, This has let me fly more bow down and given more scope on the rudder adjustment. Also needed to really trim the rudder angle between tacks.
  • I did try flying low and then very low upwind to allow me to increase windward heel, seemed to work but the boat is very sensitive to just 1/2 a turn on the ride height adjuster.
I didn't have any other Moths out with Zack away, Nat and Karl in re build mode, Eric and Bobby MIA, but did get to play with the A cats who were training. Was able to hold them up wind if I hiked like hell ( yes all 15 secs of it!). Couldn't point as high but was keeping in the hunt. Down wind I had a ton more speed, except the Long Beach chop was heinous. Not sure if I'm just not used to it after 6 weeks away, but it was just like liquid mogul skiing. Went over the handlebars twice!

So now building toward the SA ISAF regatta late Sept and possibly the HDPO a few weeks later. Looking to really get some consistency in boat handling as well as execute better tacks.

Bora took a great 2nd place at the Euros, not sure what happened in the last race, sure looked like he had momentum going into the last day having caught back the 7 points he was adrift earlier in the week. Chris also had a very strong regatta, look for more to come from him in the future

Over and out from Long Beach

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty much a convert to the adjustable wand as the fix for "going over the handlebars" in chop. I am working on version 2 as the v1 wand was too soft when extended to normal length. However when shorter it makes a huge difference and you don't get the boat "over-reacting" to waves which causes the problem. When I have the final solution I will blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Graham,

    I'd be very interested to see that, although I still can't figure out why an adjustable wand would be better than reducing the ride height adjuster. I've seen Lukas system as well as Nat has one on his home build here in ABYC. Look forward to the blog.
    Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete