Friday, May 7, 2010

The Best Moth Trailer in the World



As I sit here patiently waiting for my new front horizontal and push rod (more later), I thought I'd share my new trailer design with y'all Mothistas.


Genesis of this has been Marty's trailer back in Sydney, but the real catalyst was the weight of the dolly on the new Mach 2. Currently Liz and I lift boat onto roof rack of our Honda Element. Easy with the Bladerider but much much harder with the Mach 2. Much complaining from Liz and a few idle hours on a flight and the design was born! Took me a few weeks to find Vic at Bear Trailer Sports who was willing to take on the challenge of fabricating this for me. Many many conversations and photos later, especially trying to explain what a Moth was, and the trailer is part complete. Key specs are 6ft by 10ft by 24ins deep. Top opening with ability to open lid with Moth on already. It will also have the ability to add on a "double decker" so I can take 2 Moths. The boat goes for a fitting on Monday morning before trailer goes for powder coat. Pics Monday where I get to see if what I designed on paper comes to reality.

Back to the sailing front, was nice to take a few weekends off after a very busy 4 months, but now I am pinning for the boat. Talked to Amac last week and foil and push rod have left Melbourne on Tuesday for Sydney where my Nano 4 will be added to package and the whole lot shipped to LA. I really really hope this all arrives before the Santa Barbara skiff fest next weekend. I have a bodge for the broken foil and push rod just in case but it really won't be pretty! Hopefully I won't be posting pics of it!

Liz is complaining about how many rigs I now have, as I attempt to do a Bora / George multi sail spar combo thing. There's a North V8 and Southern Spars mast for sale :)

2 comments:

  1. Theres a picture of my silly trailer here http://bristol-moths.blogspot.com/2009/07/euro-photos.html

    Basically it's triple stacker with a box on the bottom deck thats sitting on a launching trolley so it can be removed... Does make big event's a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cookie,

    Thanks. Plans are for mine to be a double stacker with tramps and wings on. Wings off I reckon we could get 4 on, not sure how we would fit cradles though. Distances in US tend to be immense cf Blighty, so usually we ship. Have a nice deal with a shipping Company so LA to the Gorge (14 hour drive!) is around $120 on way... Watch this space

    ReplyDelete