Sunday, May 16, 2010

While the cats are away the mice will play. Santa Barbara Skiff Fest day 2

With all the usual suspects out sailing Melges, the Moth SoCal B fleet took to the water for day 2. Bit of June gloom, (mist) on little wind made for a slow sail out and a bit of worry about what we were going to get. BUT magically as the 5 min gun went first Nat then me were up on foils. By the gun we were all on it and another incredibly tight well fought for port hand start. Starts were the order of the day, Nat pushed me over in race 2, getting me back for pushing him over yesterday. Returned and fought hard to get back to a second inching Eric on the line. Sorry dude but I needed it! Wind built to a nice 15 - 18 again and sunshine, Nat almost taking the win, coming downwind on the pressure of the day. The morning group foil tuning seemed to have paid off at least for Eric, he was really pushing it and almost won the last race. Ended up with 1,2,1,1,2,1,1 so was pretty happy but my starboard to port gybe, wow that was bad. Even manged to turtle on one gybe chasing Nat in the second race. Think I am being a bit too timid and need to drive the boat round the turn. Always something to work on. Funnily enough I seemed to have nailed my port to starboard. Its a strange ol world! Still awesome fun weekend and a ton of sailing. Nice to sail with Dan and Eric, they are going to be tough competition in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment